Celebrations took place virtually this year for the nine recipients of ISSofBC’s Bursary Awards during the first online Annual General Meeting held September 17.
The Bursary awards, hosted by ISSofBC Bursary Committee Chair Sasha Ramnarine, was an opportunity to highlight the valuable donor contributions and give the spotlight to recipients on how the bursaries will impact their educational and career pursuits.
“I always think education places me in a position to be influential and to be helpful and to make the world a better place,” said Mahshid Hadi, recipient of the Renée Van Halm Bursary during the awards ceremony. “I’d like to say a really big thank you to ISSofBC for awarding me this and to the donor of this bursary. You have changed my life.”
Hadi, who is originally from Iran and lived in Canada since 2018, plans to study Television and Video Production at BCIT aspiring to use film to support revolutionary change.
Other bursaries awarded were:
- April English Bursary – to Layla Khdir
- Arbutus Financial Services Bursary – to Marjan Cheraghi
- Cheryl Anderson Bursary – to Oghogho Oladimeji
- De Jager Volkenant Bursary – to Chiraz Sisrian
- Lower Mainland Urgent, Family & Primary Care Centres Bursary – to Marie-Therese Barhafumwa
- Michael Danchuk Bursary – to Yonus Sahadat
- Pietro Widmer Bursary – to George-Mary Doham
- Pritam Singh & Beant Kaur Benning Bursary – to Junko Noguchi
The AGM was also an opportunity to highlight the organization’s accomplishments over the last fiscal year including opening ISSofBC Welcome Centre-Surrey and ensuring services to the community remained uninterrupted during COVID-19.
Bursary recipients are immigrant and refugee clients with goals of completing their education at accredited institutions in Metro Vancouver.
Congratulations to all bursary awardees!
Visit ISSofBC’s About Us webpage to read the latest Annual Report and learn more about ISSofBC’s Board of Directors.