What we do
HIPPY (Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters) is a free service that provides you with:
- Weekly in-home support and training from a Home Visitor
- Children’s books and lesson kits to teach your child at home
- Access to group meetings and talks based on your interests and needs
HIPPY helps you:
- participate in your child’s education
- teach your pre-schooler at home
- prepare your child to enter and succeed in kindergarten
- develop skills to support your children
- gain English skills
- meet new people
We also now serve children 18 and 36 months in the SMART program (Supporting Mothers and Raising Toddlers) which is a play-based learning program.
You can join if you are:
- Immigrant or refugee parent with a child aged 3, 4 or 5 years old
- Children aged 2 are also eligible for our SMART program
- Willing to spend time at home with your children to practice and learn, using the materials provided.
- Spend 15-20 minutes per day with your child, using materials provided by the Home Visitors
- Group meetings to network with other parents
- Opportunity to apply and become a HIPPY Home Visitor to gain employment skills
ISSofBC is currently the only HIPPY provider on mainland BC. Last year, HIPPY Vancouver supported 94 families and 109 children from 20 countries who spoke more than 23 languages.