Type: Regular full-time
Location: ISSofBC Cottonwood
Regular full-time position at 35 hours per week starting immediately.
Reporting to the Manager – Settlement, assists newcomer immigrant and refugees in their adaptation to Canadian society by linking newcomers with communities, organizations and agencies in the first language of the target culture.
- Assesses client needs (including strengths and barriers), in first-language where possible, to develop an individualized settlement plan which outlines a strategy to achieve settlement success based on identified needs, available services and community supports. Monitors settlement plan to ensure clients are on target, adjusting plan if necessary to meet individual client needs.
- Provide orientation services (in English, French or first-language) based on assessed client needs to ensure a basic awareness of Canada, BC, and the local community; including public systems and services such as housing, health, transportation, education, and rights and responsibilities.
- Refer clients to appropriate community resources based on assessed needs. Assist clients to access services, make appointments and complete forms.
- As required, provides enhanced support and short-term adjustment counselling on specific settlement-related issues that may hinder the settlement process e.g. family and cultural adjustment, navigating specific immigration processes.
- Enters client information and service interventions into centralized database as client service occurs. Provides input to narrative reports as required.
- Organize and facilitate workshops and courses, arranging for external speakers as appropriate.
- Performs service bridging by serving as a resource to clients and staff of external agencies regarding cultural interpretation on issues, client needs and related projects and services.
- Participate in approved sectoral and community networks. In first language, may develop resource materials and write news articles on settlement topics.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Diploma in Social Sciences, counselling or a related discipline acceptable to the employer supplemented by a minimum of one (1) to (2) years of experience in a client oriented position, preferable in an immigrant settlement services related field OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the employer. Fluency in Arabic language is required.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral English at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively and courteously with clientele, staff and the public who come from differing cultural and linguistic backgrounds
- Proficiency in MS Word.
- Demonstrated ability to manage time and resources effectively. Current knowledge of legislation, services and information affecting immigrant and refugees including issues facing newcomers.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and facilitating groups.
- Ability to set and maintain boundaries with clients and manage self-care.
- Service-oriented with a demonstrated willingness to help the department and the organization achieve desired objectives and targets.
- Possession of and the ability to maintain a clear provincial criminal record check.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Applications must include “2018-Settlement-13” in the subject line and can be sent to: email@example.com
Closing Date: By 4 pm, Tuesday, April 24, 2018
Salary Range: $23.11 – $25.25 per hour (based on training and qualifications)
ISSofBC offers to eligible staff an outstanding medical and employer-matched RRSP benefits. Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. We thank all applicants; however, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.