Location: ISSofBC - Burnaby - 207-7355 Canada Way
As a volunteer Settlement Mentor, you’ll provide newcomers with friendship, support and tips on community resources and services. You can help them with things like learning English, coping with stress, adjusting to their new community, and learning about Canadian life.
Location: Burnaby -207-7355 Canada Way Burnaby, BC V3N 4Z6 (Meeting with a newcomer will be anywhere in Burnaby)
- Meet once per week for a 3 – 12 month period with a newcomer.
- Welcome newcomers to Canada and connect them to their community.
- Be a resource person who assists newcomers to learn about different aspects of life in Canada.
- Be an explorer who is interested in learning about newcomers’ culture and language.
- Be a friend who provides friendship and support to newcomers.
- Be an initiator who takes the lead to develop a connection with the newcomer and maintains contact each week.
- Willingness to learn and appreciate the cultural practices of others
- Desire to help others
- Reliable and responsible
- Knowledge of services and resources available in Burnaby
- If you speak additional languages, that is a plus, but not necessary
Commitment: 3 hours a week for 3 – 12 months
Dates: Continuous intake throughout the year
Requirement: Criminal Record Check
Contact: Fatoumata Niane at Fatoumata.email@example.com
Phone: 604-395-8000 ext 1633