Type: Regular Full-Time
Location: ISSofBC Vancouver and Surrey
Gateway to Tourism and Hospitality Program – Surrey and Vancouver locations
Regular full-time position at 35 hours per week starting as soon as possible
The Gateway to Tourism Program will provide support to address the specific challenges of tourism/hospitality sector and employment barriers faced by newcomers and refugees.
In a sector that was the hardest hit by the COVID-19 pandemic, the tourism and hospitality sector is now entering a new era that promises to be vibrant, innovative, and filled with new potential. In the Gateway to Tourism program, we believe that with the strategic career help from our Case Managers and Employer Relations Specialists, our clients can up-skill or re-skill to a profession in tourism/hospitality, and our sector-based employer partners that tap into our training & e-learning programming, will boost their recruitment and retention practices, and successfully pivot the changing labour market demands in the sector.
As a Service Assistant, you will report to the Manager – Gateway to Tourism, and you will perform reception and administrative support functions for the program. Screen, register and set up appointments for clients. You will assist in the areas of program marketing, expense reporting, including client skills enhancement services, reimbursement and/or direct payments, database maintenance, record-keeping, subcontractor support and liaison, and event/workshop preparation. You will maintain records and files using the required software program and enter data using the required database program.
- Performs reception and clerical duties related to the Gateway to Tourism and Hospitality Program including word processing, filing, copying, processing mail, collating documents, and receiving visitors through reception desk duties at our service delivery locations. Responds to and transfers phone calls as required
- Enters client service record information into a centralized database. Once entered, updates and maintains information in the database
- Generates contractual program-specific statistical reports and any other reports at the request of the Manager
- Prepares and updates program information and marketing materials, including desktop publishing and production; arranges translations of marketing materials as needed
- Assists counsellors in preparing logistics for the conduct of information sessions, workshops, and marketing activities. Under specific instructions, conducts follow-ups with clients
- Prepares purchase orders and cheque requisitions for signature by the Manager ensuring that all supporting documentation is provided. Process signed documentation to Finance in a timely manner and according to established procedures
- Contacts internal/external case managers, including subcontractor and ISSofBC staff, service providers, community organizations, employers, professional associations, and educational institutions to obtain or provide information and build positive working relationships
- Prepares bi-weekly expense reporting, including payment reimbursement or direct-payment processing on behalf of clients using skills enhancement services in the program
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Keeps current on related policies and/or guidelines specific to the Gateway to Tourism & Hospitality program
- Performs other related ISSofBC organizational duties as assigned by specific site.
Completion of a certificate or diploma in office administration, business, or related discipline supplemented by a minimum of one (1) year of related experience preferably in a related social service field; OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience acceptable to the employer. Fluency in a second language is an asset.
Skills and Abilities:
- A natural connector with a can-do attitude
- A passion for client-oriented services with a willingness to help the team and the organization achieve desired objectives and targets
- Creativity & innovation in marketing the program
- New and exciting ways to manage time and resources efficiently
- Bold curiosity and a willingness to learn new technology with previous experience with Microsoft Office, Zoom, and Microsoft Teams
- Possession of and the ability to maintain a clear provincial criminal record check.
ISSofBC’s mission and values emphasize inclusivity and recognition of individuals’ unique talents. In recruiting and developing our staff, we see strength in diversity of backgrounds, lived experiences, and identities. We welcome and encourage applicants who bring new perspectives and experiences to our team.
Watch our video How It Is Working Here
Watch our video How Long I Have Been Working Here
Watch our video Why I Love Working Here
Applications must include “2022-GTH-10” in the subject line and can be sent to: email@example.com
Closing Date: open until filled
Role Salary Range: $21.03 – $27.49 per hour
Expected Starting Range: $21.03 – $22.32. Dependent on education, training, experience, and internal equity. Wage grids are reviewed annually.
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. We thank all applicants; however, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.