Type: Regular full-time
Location: ISSofBC Welcome Centre
Settlement Orientation Services (SOS) – Vancouver location
Regular full-time position at 35 hours per week starting immediately
The Housing Search Worker will provide in-office assistance to Refugee claimants coming to Settlement Orientation Services (SOS) in their search for long-term rental housing within Metro Vancouver.
Reports to the Manager, Settlement Orientation Services.
- Coordinates and monitors the housing search for refugee claimants and informs settlement workers of housing search status of clients and informs the SOS Manager of any issues with the housing search.
- Provides general information on Greater Vancouver rental market to refugee claimants and individualized assistance, based on clients’ preferences, budget, and special needs.
- Makes initial contact with landlord/building manager to get appropriate information (rental cost, superficies, etc.) and arranges for a visit.
- May accompany clients on housing visits as needed or can arrange for a volunteer to accompany the client, if available.
- Maintains a current listing of building managers renting to clients and a listing of sources for finding housing options (list of websites, contacts, etc.).
- Liaises with landlords and building managers to facilitate renting opportunities for future clients.
- Informs and connects clients with low cost furniture stores or donation centres.
- Orders utilities, such as phone/cable/internet packages, gas and hydro, based on clients’ needs and preferences.
- Provides administrative support related to rental information such as, but not limited to, updating information in the database.
- Assists in filling out housing related forms such as applications to BC Housing.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Diploma in social services or other related field, OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the employer.
Minimum of one (1) year’s recent, related experience in settlement services.
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated effective communication in both written and oral English.
- Proven ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to operate related office equipment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Windows applications, software and databases.
- Possession of and ability to maintain a clear BC Criminal Record Check.
Applications must include “2018-Settlement-49” in the subject line and can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: By 4 pm, Wednesday, December 12, 2018
Salary Range: $18.42 – $20.13 per hour (based on training and qualifications); 100% paid group medical benefits and 3 weeks’ annual vacation for eligible regular staff
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. We thank all applicants; however, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.