Type: Temporary Part-Time
Location: ISSofBC Coquitlam
LINC Program – Coquitlam location
Temporary part-time position – CLB 5/6 EVE at 14.25 hours per week including prep starting as soon as possible through to March 31, 2022
Tuesday – Thursday, 6:15 am – 9:15 pm
Reporting to the LINC Manager, and under the direction of the Instructional Coordinator, instructs level appropriate Literacy– CLB 8 English skills to adult immigrant and refugee newcomers while increasing their understanding of Canadian local, social, workplace and cultural norms. Connects immigrants to the community through field trips and guest speakers. Monitors student progress through the components of portfolio-based language assessments and provides feedback to students informally on an ongoing basis and formally through student progress reports and conferencing.
- Guided by current CLB document(s), provides CLB skill building language and settlement lessons to adult immigrant and newcomer refugees in order to facilitate their social, cultural, economic and political integration into Canadian society.
- Develops daily and long-term lesson plans to achieve identified CLB objectives. Prepares lesson materials and delivers CLB task-based lessons consistent with the LINC program and monthly teaching goals.
- Develops appropriate tasks and portfolio based language assessments. Maintains student portfolio files and provides students with reflection time and feedback according to guidelines established by the LINC Lead Teacher team.
- Collaborates with students on individual portfolio based progress reports by performing such activities as providing input and feedback. Conducts individual student progress conferences either twice or four times per year (depending on level) or more frequently if required.
- Conducts on-going and monthly needs assessment with students to determine which themes, topics and outcomes to include in lesson planning.
- Organizes field trips, arranges for guest speakers and other socio-cultural activities that connect learners with the community consistent with monthly teaching goals and overall LINC program objectives.
- Maintains up-to-date, accurate class records in the classroom daybook. Enters attendance records into computerized database daily. Submits required monthly reporting documents in a timely manner.
- Collaborates proactively with LINC administration when making referrals for students and assists in resolving any student issues.
- Collaborates with LINC teachers to share resources, contribute to program curricula and plan joint activities, independently and through teacher share sessions.
- Keeps abreast of current ESL and online teaching techniques and LINC program developments by participating in internal and external PD events; shares learning with colleagues through staff meetings and internal PD as required; completes PD preparation assignments as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Degree from a recognized university and a certificate or diploma from a TESL Canada recognized training institution; minimum of two (2) years’ experience teaching ESL to adults and knowledge of Canadian Language Benchmark competencies and associated resources OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the employer. Experience teaching settlement English an asset.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate fluently and accurately in both written and oral English.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively and courteously with students, staff and the public who may come from differing cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Strong analytical skill and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, organize and complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to remain current in CLB competencies and associated resources.
- Demonstrated proficiency with current technology tools, online learning platforms and social media resources.
- Ability to set and maintain boundaries with staff and students and manage self-care.
- Ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Email applications must include “2021-LINC-07” and can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: By 4 pm, Wednesday, May 12, 2021
Salary Rate: $27.46 – $29.14 per hour
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. We thank all applicants; however, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.