Type: Regular Full-Time
Location: ISSofBC Vancouver
Position: Housing Search Worker – Arabic, Farsi, Spanish, or Dari an Asset
Specialization – Centralized Housing Sourcing
Settlement Orientation Services (SOS) – Vancouver/ Surrey
Regular full-time position at 35 hours per week starting as soon as possible
Summary: Under the supervision of the Manager – SOS, the Housing Search Worker assists refugee claimant clients in their search for emergency or transitional housing in Metro Vancouver. This position is a centralized housing sourcing specialist and will have experience in engaging proactively with emergency and transitional shelter, as well as building and maintaining positive landlord relationships.
Reporting to: Manager – Settlement Orientation Services
- Maintains a current listing of emergency and transitional shelter agencies and a listing of sources for finding housing options (list of websites, contacts, etc.).
- Liaises with landlords and building managers to facilitate renting opportunities for future clients.
- Works closely with Housing Case Workers to meet the needs of clients seeking shelter.
- Registration on BC CHARMS as appropriate.
- Provides general information on Metro Vancouver rental market through group orientation sessions or one-to-one appointments.
- Provides administrative support related to rental information such as, applications to BC Housing.
- Referrals to settlement workers and other agencies as appropriate.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Diploma in social services or other related field, OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience acceptable to the employer.
- Minimum of one (1) year recent, related experience in settlement services.
- Understanding of emergency and transitional shelters is an asset.
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated effective communication in both written and oral English.
- Proven ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to operate related office equipment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Windows applications, software and databases.
- Possession of and ability to maintain a clear BC Criminal Record Check.
ISSofBC’s mission and values emphasize inclusivity and recognition of individuals’ unique talents. In recruiting and developing our staff, we see strength in diversity of backgrounds, lived experiences, and identities. We welcome and encourage applicants who bring new perspectives and experiences to our team.
Watch our video How It Is Working Here
Watch our video How Long I Have Been Working Here
Watch our video Why I Love Working Here
Applications must include “2022-SOS-06” in the subject line and can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Open until filled
Role Salary Range: $24.75 – $32.35 per hour
Expected Starting Range: $24.75 – $26.27. Dependent on education, training, experience, and internal equity. Wage grids are reviewed annually.
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. We thank all applicants; however, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.