Type: Regular part-time
Location: ISSofBC Welcome Centre
Resettlement Assistance Program – Welcome Centre
Regular part-time position at 17.5 hours per week starting immediately
Reporting to the Welcome Centre Coordinator performs routine maintenance, repairs and improvements, and related incidental purchasing for the Welcome Centre suites and common areas. Ensures suites are in excellent condition for occupancy and that common areas and office spaces well maintained.
- Conducts and documents daily facility safety, security and maintenance inspections following established procedures. On a monthly basis, or more frequently if required, inspects and documents Welcome House suites to assess ongoing maintenance needs.
- Carries out routine maintenance including but not limited to: movement of fixtures and supplies, installing fixtures, repairing damage to walls and floors, repairing/replacing doors, unplugging toilets, and assembling and moving furniture. With approval from the Welcome Centre Coordinator purchases related supplies. Makes recommendations for improvements and implements approved recommendations.
- Performs “touch-up” and complete painting of suites as well as internal and exterior common area surfaces as required.
- Carries and monitors a cell phone to respond to emergency calls from staff (immediate building repairs such as broken windows, overflowing toilets etc.) and other agencies (alarm triggers).
- Ensures that internal halls, stairs and doorways are free of any obstacles that would impede safe passage. In conjunction with contract providers, ensures sidewalks and exterior areas are clear of snow, ice and other obstacles or dangers.
- Performs scheduled maintenance of sprinkler and alarm systems as required by municipal by-laws and insurers.
- Organizes and maintains designated storage spaces and maintenance tools and supplies in an orderly fashion.
- Liaises with the Welcome Centre Coordinator to ensure suite inventory, inspection, and maintenance records are up-to-date.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Completion of high school and a minimum of two (2) year’s recent related experience OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the employer.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effective in both written and oral English.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively and courteously with clientele, staff and the public from differing cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated aptitude and skills as a “handy-man”. Knowledge of the use and maintenance of basic hand and power tools, ladders, and safety equipment.
- Knowledge of safety practises when performing maintenance work and using tools. Employs such practises at all times.
- Demonstrate ability to manage time well and work with minimal supervision.
- Possession of and the ability to maintain a clear provincial criminal record check.
- Ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Email applications must include “2018-RAP-08” and can be sent to: email@example.com
Closing Date: By 4pm, Wednesday, December 12, 2018
Salary Rate: $20.65 – $21.91 per hour (based on training and qualifications)
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. We thank all applicants; however, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.