Type: Regular full-time
Location: ISSofBC Welcome Centre - Surrey
Spark Entrepreneurial Programs – Surrey location
Regular full-time position at 35 hours per week starting immediately
The Spark Program is one of ISSofBC’s entrepreneurship programs. This program supports qualified refugees and immigrants with a desire to start their own business, to explore ways to develop their business ideas.
Provides individualized, on-line, or group business idea incubation counselling services. Facilitates the development of a realistic action plan (Emerging Strategy) for the further training of the client. Monitors clients’ progress and provides follow-up counselling for one year following program graduation. Prepares and maintains prescribed reports on each client. Facilitates and coordinates mentorship opportunities for clients, as needed. Assists in client recruitment, program marketing and project evaluation activities.
Reports to the Manager – Entrepreneurial Programs.
- Conducts service eligibility, needs assessment, pre- and post-testing. Participates in all client recruitment and screening and program marketing activities. Coordinates enrolment and payment for external services.
- Prepares and maintains appropriate records, data and prepares necessary reports on each client.
- Conducts one-on-one or group orientation sessions on relevant topics, e.g. the local economy/business landscape, entrepreneurial soft skills, basic presentation skills, business planning research skills, and information on available business community resources, business viability indicators, and business planning resources guides.
- Facilitates the development of a realistic Emerging Strategy and other tools for the further training of the client based on identified skills/interests, key entrepreneurship experience, and local economy needs, and secures client commitment to, and support for the Emerging Strategy.
- Provides remote service delivery (on-line) as needed. Provides referrals to settlement and language services as needed. Consults with the Manager regarding any unresolved issue/problem.
- Delivers program information to training service providers and referring agencies as requested. Facilitates mentorship opportunities and coordinates mentor-client meetings for clients as needed.
- Provides business idea research and planning assistance.
- Monitors the progress of clients towards achieving their self-employment training and planning goals and provides ongoing support until the client’s Emerging Strategy is completed.
- Ensures lesson plans are prepared and delivered consistent with program curriculum. Participates in developmental activities for curriculum, lesson plans and handouts for the program.
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with ISSofBC staff, program mentors, resource persons, community agencies and local businesses.
- Keeps abreast of developments and trends in the local economy/business environment and career counselling area.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Certificate or diploma in vocational counselling supplemented by a minimum of 6 months’ self-employment counselling experience including facilitating workshops and small groups OR an equivalent combination of education, training and entrepreneurial experience acceptable to the employer.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to implement and deliver outcomes; be dynamic and energetic; be self-initiating and self-motivating and passionate about helping people.
- Ability to think creatively and show resourcefulness.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral English.
- Demonstrated cross-cultural counselling abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate workshops and small groups.
- Knowledgeable of local economy/small business issues, especially those related to ESL immigrant and refugee clients.
- Understanding of what it takes to start a business an asset.
- Understanding of small business in BC
- Experience working with immigrants and refugees.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Windows applications, software and databases.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a clear BC Criminal Record Check.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Applications must include “2018-Spark-03B” in the subject line and can be sent to: email@example.com
Closing Date: By 4 pm, Wednesday, December 12, 2018
Salary Range: $24.51 – $26.01 per hour (based on training and qualifications); 100% paid group medical benefits and 3 weeks’ annual vacation for eligible regular staff
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. We thank all applicants; however, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.