Type: Temporary Full-Time
Location: ISSofBC Terminal and/or Surrey
Career Compass for Immigrants – Surrey Welcome Center and/or Terminal locations
Temporary full-time position at 35 hours per week starting as soon as possible through to March 2022
Career Compass for Immigrants is a new skills training and employment program for multi-barriered immigrant newcomers in Metro Vancouver. The program provides skills training for occupational skills, short-term certification, soft skills, and digital skills. Participants receive job search assistance, placement, and work experience services to support employment and job maintenance. Services are delivered to clients in English, Arabic, and French.
Provides individualized, on-line, or group employment and career counselling services. Facilitates the development of a realistic personal action plan for the employment or further training of the client. Monitors clients’ progress and provides follow-up counselling and support until action plan is competed. Prepares and maintains prescribed reports on each client. Produces resumes and letters of application, as needed. Assists in client recruitment, program marketing and project evaluation activities.
Manager – Career Compass for Immigrants
- Provides career planning and job search assistance, including developing job search-related documents including e-portfolios and portfolios.
- Facilitates the development of a realistic action plan, resumes and other tools for the employment and/or further training of the client based on identified skills/interests, key work experience, and labour market needs, and secures client commitment to, and support for the action plan.
- Provides individual counselling and remote service delivery (online) as needed.
- Conducts appropriate group interventions and information workshops on relevant topics, ensuring that lessons plans are prepared and delivered consistent with program curriculum, e.g. labour market information, the hidden job market, information on available resume services, job search skills/ strength, community employment resources guide and employment-related resource.
- Conducts service eligibility and needs assessment.
- Participates in all client recruitment and screening and program marketing activities. Provides program information to training service providers and referring agencies as requested.
- Provides referrals to skills upgrading services, and job search training and assistance.
- Coordinates enrolment and payment for externals services.
- Monitors the progress of clients towards achieving their employment and/ or training goals and provides ongoing support until the client’s action plan is completed. Provides follow-up services for clients deemed to be self-sufficient. Consults with the Manager regarding any unresolved issue/ problem.
- Prepares and maintains appropriate records and prepares necessary reports on each client.
- Participates in developmental activities for curriculum, lesson plans and handouts for the program.
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with ISSofBC staff, prospective employers, resource persons, community agencies and educational institutions.
- Keeps abreast of developments in the local labour market and trends in the employment/ career counselling area.
- Collects, updates, and maintains client data as required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Certificate or diploma in vocational counselling or Career Development Practitioner (CDP); Certificate in Essential Skills; or Job Finding Club facilitation supplemented by a minimum of 6 months’ employment counselling experience including facilitation workshops and small groups OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience acceptable to the employer.
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of job application portfolios including e-portfolios.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral English.
- Demonstrated cross-cultural counselling abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate workshops and small groups.
- Knowledge of local labour market issues, market trends and issues, especially those related to immigrants and/or clients with multi-barriers.
- Demonstrated proficiency in online applications including MS Office and client management databases.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a clear BC Criminal Record Check.
Email applications must include “2021-CC-04A” in the subject line and can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: By 4 pm, Thursday, May 13, 2021
Salary Range: $24.75 – $26.27 per hour (based on training and qualifications)
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. We thank all applicants; however, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.