Type: Temporary Full-Time
Location: ISSofBC Vancouver
Temporary full-time position at 35 hours per week starting as soon as possible through to March 31, 2022, with the possibility of extension subject to program funding
Reporting to the Manager – Career Paths, provides individualized, on-line, or group employment and career counselling services. Facilitates the development of a realistic personal action plan for the employment or further training of the client. Monitors clients’ progress and provides follow-up counselling and support until action plan is completed. Prepares and maintains prescribed reports on each client. Produces resumes and letters of application, as needed. Assists in client recruitment, program marketing and project evaluation activities.
- Provides individual counselling and remote service delivery (on-line) to internationally trained professionals that are seeking to re-enter their profession in Canada.
- Facilitates the development of a realistic action plan, resumes and other tools for the employment and/or further training of the client based on identified skills/interests, key work experience, and labour market needs, and secures client commitment to, and support for the action plan.
- Provides career planning and job search assistance, including developing job search-related documents including e-portfolios, resumes, cover letters, LinkedIn profiles, and websites.
- Provides referrals to skills upgrading services, and job search training and assistance that for immigrants seeking to upskill or re-certify for their occupation in Canada.
- Monitors the progress of clients towards achieving their employment and/or training goals and provides ongoing support until the client’s action plan is completed. Provides follow-up services for clients deemed to be self-sufficient. Consults with the Manager regarding any unresolved issue/problem.
- Participates in developmental activities for curriculum, lesson plans and handouts for the program.
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with ISSofBC staff, prospective employers, resource persons, community agencies and educational institutions.
- Keeps abreast of developments in the local labour market and trends in the employment/career counselling area.
- Collects, updates, and maintains client data as required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Certificate or diploma in vocational counselling; Certificate in Essential Skills; or Job Finding Club facilitation supplemented by a minimum of 6 months’ employment counselling experience including facilitating workshops and small groups OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the employer.
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of the labour market and job search strategies in Canada.
- Ability to deal effectively with clientele, staff and the public who come from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Service-oriented with a demonstrated willingness to help the department and the organization achieve desired objectives and targets.
- Ability to set and maintain boundaries with clients and manage self-care.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate workshops and small groups.
- Knowledge of local labour market issues and challenges faced by immigrants in Canada.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Windows applications, software, and databases.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a clear BC Criminal Record Check.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
If you are not certain that your credentials are a complete match, we encourage you to submit your application for consideration. ISSofBC is committed to helping immigrants build a future in Canada and you might be the perfect fit. Eligible employees receive employer-paid benefits, RRSP contributions, and 3 weeks annual vacation.
Email applications must include “2021-CP-11A” and can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: By 4 pm, Wednesday, October 27, 2021
Wage rate is commensurate with the level of experience and qualifications you possess.
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. We thank all applicants; however, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.
We will be interviewing qualified applicants on a rolling basis as we receive applications.