Type: Temporary part-time
Location: ISSofBC Surrey
Blaze – Self-Employment for Newcomer Youth – Surrey Welcome Center location
Temporary part-time position at 20-25 hrs per week based on operational needs starting as soon possible through to March 31, 2022
Blaze is a new entrepreneurship program for newcomer immigrant and refugee youth in Metro Vancouver. This program supports both aspiring entrepreneurs interested in business start-up, as well as existing youth entrepreneurs interested in business growth and expansion. Participants receive entrepreneurial skills training, gain business experience and connections through resource teams and peer-to-peer support.
The Business Advisor provides coaching and development counselling with participants in a one on one and group structure for business start-up and business growth. Facilitates the development of a realistic action plan (Emerging Strategy) for the further training of the client. Monitors clients’ progress and provides follow-up counselling as per program’s guidelines. Prepares and maintains prescribed reports on each client. Facilitates and coordinates mentorship opportunities for clients, as needed. Assists in client recruitment, program marketing, project evaluation activities and workshop facilitation.
Manager, Blaze – Self Employment for Newcomer Youth
Certificate or diploma in Business/Finance supplemented by a minimum of 6 months’ self-employment counselling experience including facilitating workshops and small groups OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and entrepreneurial experience acceptable to the employer.
- Conducts service eligibility, needs assessment, surveys, pre- and post-testing. Participates in all client recruitment and screening and program marketing activities. Coordinate’s enrolment and payment for external services.
- Prepares and maintains appropriate records, data and prepares necessary reports on each client.
- Conducts one-on-one or group orientation sessions on relevant topics, e.g., the local economy/business landscape, entrepreneurial soft skills, basic presentation skills, business planning research skills, and information on available business community resources, business viability indicators, and business planning resources guides.
- Facilitates the development of a realistic Emerging Strategy and other tools for the further training of the client based on identified skills/interests, key entrepreneurship experience, and local economy needs, and secures client commitment to, and support for the Emerging Strategy.
- Provides remote service delivery (on-line) as needed. Provides referrals to settlement and language services as needed. Consults with the Manager regarding any unresolved issue/problem.
- Delivers program information to training service providers and referring agencies as requested. Facilitates mentorship opportunities and coordinates mentor-client meetings for clients as needed.
- Monitors the progress of clients towards achieving their self-employment training and planning goals and provides ongoing support until the client’s Emerging Strategy is completed.
- Ensures lesson plans are prepared and delivered consistent with program curriculum. Participates in developmental activities for curriculum, lesson plans and handouts for the program.
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with ISSofBC staff, program mentors, resource persons, community agencies and local businesses.
- Keeps abreast of developments and trends in the local economy/business environment and career counselling area.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to implement and deliver outcomes; be dynamic and energetic; be self-initiating and self-motivating and passionate about helping people.
- Ability to think creatively and show resourcefulness.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral English.
- Demonstrated cross-cultural counselling abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate workshops in small groups.
- Knowledgeable of local economy/small business issues, especially those related to ESL immigrant and refugee clients.
- Understanding of what it takes to start a business is an asset.
- Understanding of small business in BC
- Experience working with immigrants and refugees.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Windows applications, software and databases.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a clear BC Criminal Record Check.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to carry out the duties of the position.
If you are not certain that your credentials a complete match, we encourage you to submit your application for consideration. ISSofBC is committed to helping immigrants build a future in Canada and you might be the perfect fit. Eligible employees receive employer-paid benefits, RRSP contributions, and 3 weeks annual vacation.
Email applications must include “2021-BL-04” in the subject line and can be sent to: email@example.com
Closing Date: Open until position is filled; applications are reviewed as received
Salary Range: $24.75 – $26.27 per hour (based on training and qualifications)
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. We thank all applicants; however, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.