Type: On-call positions starting immediately
Location: ISSofBC LINC Childcare Richmond
Under the supervision of the ECE Supervisor, the teacher will plan, prepare and carry out daily learning activities for a group of ESL children (between 12 months and up to 5 years) consistent with curriculum and defined set of teaching goals, while their parents attend LINC classes. Responsibilities include activities such as: providing guided arts and craft sessions, ensuring a safe environment is maintained at all times; assist in providing input, developing materials, and conducting activities consistent with approved curriculum; reporting identified learning and/or behavioural concerns to the ECE Supervisor; and recording issues that need to be communicated to parents about their children in the communication log.
- Assists ECE Supervisor in the registration of children as required.
- Assists in doing research, providing input, developing materials and conducting classroom and other activities consistent with approved curriculum. Ensures children attain planned learning in language skills, social behaviours and other identified developmental goals.
- Practices documentation of the children consistently and thoughtfully and uses documentation to inspire the curriculum and as a tool for collaboration in the childcare setting.
- Maintains up-to-date records and files on children including communication log book as required.
- Ensures the continuing safety and security of the children. Immediately notifies the Supervisor of any safety/security concerns regarding the children and/or family.
- Works with ECE team members to ensure the centre is safe, neat, and attractive and materials are changed regularly so that the children’s interests are met and stimulated. Attends to housekeeping needs as required.
- Reports identified learning and/or behavioural concerns to the ECE Supervisor. Assists Supervisor in determining appropriate parental/caregiver interventions which could help the progress of the child’s development. Takes part in parent/caregiver consultations as required.
- May on occasion assist with training volunteers and practicum students.
- In the absence of the ECE Supervisor takes on the role of head teacher.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Completion of an Early Childhood Education diploma/certificate and current certification to practise in BC and possession of a valid first aid certificate. A minimum of one (1) to (2) years’ experience in an early child care centre (preferably in an ESL setting), supplemented by courses and/or workshops in Special Needs Training, working with multi-barriered clients and/or multi-cultural preschool curriculum, experience in Emergent Curriculum and Documentation OR and equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the employer.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral English.Knowledge of emergent curriculum and demonstrated ability to maintain current in all aspects of Early Childhood Education.
- Ability to set and maintain boundaries with clients and manage self-care.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively and courteously with children, parents, staff and the public from differing cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Service-oriented with a demonstrated willingness to help co-workers and the department achieve desired objectives and targets.Ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Possession of and the ability to maintain a clear provincial criminal record check and a valid first aid certificate.
Email applications must include “2018-LINC-20” and can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: By 4 pm, Friday, April 13, 2018
Salary Rate: $17.39 per hour
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. We thank all applicants; however, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview. ISSofBC offers eligible staff outstanding medical and employer-matched RRSP benefits.