Reaching for Success - Newcomer Children in the Tri-Cities
Are your children struggling in a new learning environment? Our after-school program provides newcomer children the tools to reach their academic goals.
Building on over 5 years of success in other schools in Metro Vancouver, "Reaching for Success-Newcomer Children in the Tri-Cities" provides children with a better school and community experience and helps them make positive connections with their peers, teachers and neighbourhoods.
The program provides a variety of learning opportunities and social and recreational activities for up to 25 newcomer learners in the Tri-Cities area including:
- homework support, building vocabulary, practice with math
- physical activity, sports games
- art, music, drama
- computer skills
Parent involvement through forums
Parents can also get involved in Reaching for Success by connecting to the host school staff to share information, stories and concerns. The forums include:
- an interpreter to support the opportunity to share vital information with parents
- outreach and translations services
- opportunities for parents to volunteer or get involved
Would you like to learn more? Please email our program coordinator.
Who Can Join?
- Only open to 25 children in total aged 6-12
- Students chosen based on highest need by host school staff
- Children from refugee and immigrant families are given priority
- Currently attending school in the Tri-Cities area
Help develop an additional Reaching for Success program in Coquitlam.